061-Myths of Catalonia
- Myths of Catalonia
City and date
- Besalú, August 1994
- 2coblas, 2percussionists, harp, rhapsody and alto singer
- 1) Introduction 2) The witch 3) The siren 4) The dragon 5) The Puigmal
- Texts of traditional songs and from Paco Viciana
- Banyoles, Polideportivo La Draga October 20, 1997 Cobles: La Principal de la Bisbal and La Selvatana Director: Francesc Cassú Percussions: Enric Canada and Xavier Rodríguez Harp: Abigail Prat Singing soloist and rapsoda: Titón Frauca
Symphonic poem in five movements about mythological beings of the medieval Catalan tradition: The Witch, The Mermaid, The Dragon and The Puigmal.
Awarded work with the 2nd prize in the 12th Musical Contest composition for cobla Ceret-Banyoles in 1995.
The myths and legends of Catalonia in medieval times tell us of beliefs now lost in magical beings, good and generous, and sometimes horrible and bloodthirsty. They speak, if you will, of a time of ignorance and superstition, but they also speak of fantasy, a word that is lost today. And it is to the fantasy, that I have concentrated to do this.
The explanatory texts have served me to excite my imagination and turn it into music, and with this work I would like to claim two things damaged by the passage of time and that we need to recover daily: fantastic imagination and Catalan culture.
I would like to dedicate this work to the simple Catalans who in medieval times believed firmly in these myths, and who thought that the world was really flat. Maybe they were right.
It is a mortal woman who acquires magical powers thanks to the good relation with the divinities of nature.
"The mermaid is a very wonderful creature, if there is such a sweet voice that everyone who hears it sing comes closer to hear it"
All the force and fury of the wild nature is concentrated on the Dragon.
The peak of the Puigmal (Ripollès and high Cerdanya) is a giant that guarded the forests and the beasts of the mountains of human fury. A long time ago, he taught men to milk and make cheeses, so that they could feed without having to kill animals. These, being not persecuted, coexisted with us in full freedom. But the instincts of the evil hunter, who only kills for the pleasure of killing, resurfaced, and the Puigmal still looks helplessly at the extermination of his protected pepole.
Entrust me to the mother, nightingale
Of a beautiful forest, nightingale, of a flight.
Entrust me to the mother, nightingale,
A kiss and a hug, nightingale,
Of a beautiful forest, nightingale of a flight.
-Myths of Catalonia (Concert mix 13'06):
- Coblas: La Principal de la Bisbal i La Selvatana
- Percussions: Enric Canada i Xavier Rodríguez
- Harp: Abigail Prat
- Soloist singer and rapsode: Titón Frauca
- Direction: Francesc Cassú